History The Beaumont Municipal Airport was originally constructed during the Great Depression as a Works Progress Administration Project (WPA) and activated on October 1, 1937. The Army Air Corps used the field during World War II as a base of operations for antisubmarine patrols. Commercial service was provided by Trans Texas Airways and Delta Airlines until 1946 at which point the Jefferson County Airport was opened. The City of Beaumont has operated the Beaumont Municipal Airport as a general aviation facility since that time. The original terminal building was replaced in the late 1970s by a new terminal building and aircraft parking apron. The City has continued to make appropriate improvements to the airfield and terminal area since this time.